Irene King Elementary School
Irene King Elementary School is located at the corner of Eaton Avenue and Murphy Drive in Romeoville. Originally known as Ridge View Elementary, the school was renamed in 1979 in honor of longtime teacher Irene King. According to Principal April Vacik, students celebrate King's birthday every year with an ice cream party. The school offers a range of student activites, including the Young Authors Club and the recently launched yearbook committee.
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: 1967
- Number of students: 586
- Male-to-female ratio: 321:265
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: No
- Religious affiliation: None
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 10:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 60
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Irene King Elementary is working hard to get parents and community members involved with the school through monthly PTO-sponsored family nights and Bingo nights.
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: K-5
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Cafeteria, Library
- Extracurricular activities available: In addition to a range of clubs and activities, Irene King Elementary offers the Rainbows program, which supports students who have experienced a loss through divorce or the death of a loved one.
- Sports teams: Students can participate in seasonal intramural sports.
- Student clubs: The school offers student council for third- through fifth-graders, along with a Young Authors Club and yearbook committee.