Clerks Busted for Selling Cigs to Teens
Joliet police conducted a check to determine if stores were selling tobacco to underage patrons, and found 10 businesses where employees broke the law.
The Joliet Police Department cited clerks in 10 stores for selling tobacco to minors in a compliance enforcement conducted Friday.
Joliet Cmdr. Rich Demick said the department is obligated under state law to check each of the 130 stores in the city that sell tobacco products. Typically, enforcement reviews are done three or four times a year to ensure that every business is checked at least once, he said.
The review involves sending a minor into a store to purchase cigarettes. If the clerk sells them to the teen, he or she is issued a compliance ticket for violating the law, Demick said.
The following stores/employees were cited in Friday's enforcement:
- 609 Ruby St. (Joliet Food Mart): Abdullah I. Bachu, 67, 4939 Courtland Circle, Plainfield.
- 692 Theodore (Michalene Liquor): Paula M. Reardon, 52, 413 N. Raven Road, Shorewood.
- 1529 N. Broadway (Marathon gas station): Vivian C. Black, 39, 815 Cora St., Joliet.
- 3021 Plainfield Road (Shell gas station): Stephanie Malak, 50, 2418 Regan Road, Joliet.
- 710 E. Cass St. (Shell): Jessica M. Zander, 25, 110 Hobbs, Joliet.
- 401 S. Larkin Ave. (Shell): Amanda M. Curry, 22, 311 White Ave., Joliet.
- 334 N. Collins (Citgo gas station): Vaneza Ramirez, 21, 413 State St., Joliet.
- 3620 Rock Creek (7-Eleven): Jashumati V. Patel, 68, 1594 Essex Drive, Hoffman Estates.
- 563 N. Collins St.: Marisol Reyes-Penaloza, 19, 611 Garnsey, Joliet.
- 935 W. Jefferson St.: Khalil M. Ahmad, 56, 214 Peale St., Joliet.